Tarsiers are one of the smallest primates on earth.They have large mesmerizing eyes whose bony eye sockets are larger than that of its brain case as well as of its stomach. People sold Tarsiers for as little as 100 Philippine pesos before. Based on the research, it’s population is estimated 5000-10,000.
They live inside tree trunks. People killed Tarsiers to make money by destroying forest and stiffing them with cotton.
They’re also one of the most ancient, having been around for 45 million years, fossils showing that they once also lived in North America, Europe and mainland Asia.
Tarsiers like the owls – sleeping during daytime yet very active at night. It hunts and feed themselves with fruits and insects( such as cockroaches, crickets, and sometimes small lizard.) Local folks believe they eat charcoal but in fact they only get the maggots or insects inside burnt wood or to get some salt.
In Philippines, Tarsiers are now considered endangered. Samar, Leyte, Mindanao, Bohol and Cebu are places where you can see Tarsiers. Let us all be a proponent for the “i- recover. i-recycle. i-save the Tarsiers” supported also by Nokia, Globe Telecom, Ayala Foundation and Philippine TarsierFoundation
It’s the little things that count. Recycle and save a tarsier.
1. The “i-recover. I-recycle.” Program is open to Globe and non-Globe subs; as well as Nokia and non-Nokia users.
2. Interested participants may dispose anu brand of thei old or defective mobile phones in exchange for a Nokia Eco-item( exclusively available at Globe Stores). Tarsier Foundation for the preservation of our endangered Tarsiers. Participants may also get a change to win a Nokia C6 smartphone in a raffle draw. See posters for details.
3. The participant should present the complete old or defective mobile phone unit to the on-duty security guard at any Globe Store and:
- •Drop- off the old mobile phone unit at the designated Cell Phone Recycling Bin;
- •sign the log sheet
- •Get a Nokia Eco-item and a raffle stub from the on-duty Guard;
- •Drop the filled-out raffle stub with name,address,contact number and affix signature to the drop box located at Globe Stores.
4. Promo is on first come , first served basis and valid until supplies last.
5. Watch out for “i-recover.i-recycle” road shows on the following dates and venues for more exciting activities and raffle draws:
- December 1, 2011 Solenad, Nuvali, sta. Rosa Laguna
- March 1, 2012 Abreeza Mall , Davao City
- June 1, 2012 Ayala Center, Cebu City
- September 7, 2012 Marquee Mall,Pampanga
6. Participants may also drop their old mobile phones in the some Ayala Malls.
Don’t let them destroy the habitat of the Tarsiers,Let us Save these cute Little Tarsiers. The Power is in our Hands.